One of my favorite patients today sparked an interest in a curious topic. Her comment was “I’m here for my mood enhancement injection.” When I questioned her about this, she began to explain she feels her BOTOX® injections help improve her mood. She stated she is much less likely to feel angry, sad, or depressed when her frown lines are relaxed.
I did a little research and it turns out there was a study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry in August, 2014 which suggested my patient may indeed be correct. The study was a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial that demonstrated patients who had received BOTOX® injections to the glabellar (frown line) region had statistically significant improvement in depressive symptoms compared to the placebo group. The improvement in these symptoms was sustained over 24 weeks, even after the cosmetic effects had worn off around 12-16 weeks.
The cosmetic effects of BOTOX® injections are obviously the main reason our patients inquire about BOTOX®, but it is interesting to think about the other possible benefits BOTOX® injections may have to offer.
Here are just a few “BOTOX® Basics”:
– In 2013, 5.9 million injections of BOTOX® were performed
– The price range for glabellar region treatment is $240.00-$360.00
– It will take 10-14 days to achieve the full effect of a BOTOX® treatment
– BOTOX® injections have been shown to improve the appearance of skin (light reflection on the skin is enhanced when fine lines and wrinkles are softened)
– BOTOX® treatments take 10-15 minutes
– BOTOX® cosmetic is approved for patients ages 18-65
– On average, results last 3-4 months.
While BOTOX® can be done at many med spas, it is crucial to have an experienced provider performing this procedure, as precision and skill are essential for the best results. Sutton Ryan Aesthetic Center is proud to be a Black Diamond Level Provider of BOTOX®, which is exclusive to the top two percent of clinics nationally who perform aesthetic injectables. Call 402-484-0908 to make an appointment with our highly experienced team.
– Kerri Otto, PA-C