Sutton Skin Cancer Center
Mohs surgery is a surgical technique for removing skin cancers performed by a dermatologist who is both the surgeon and the pathologist. The first step of Mohs is removing the skin cancer while preserving as much healthy tissue as possible. The second step of Mohs is evaluating the margins of the tumor under the microscope in the office. These steps are repeated until the tumor is completely removed. The final step of Mohs is usually the closing of the surgical wound with either direct closure or advanced techniques such as skin flaps or skin grafts in an effort to minimize scarring.
Mohs surgery is the preferred surgical technique for many skin cancers for a number of reasons.
- Mohs surgery has the highest success rate in completely removing skin cancers (up to 98-99%).
- Mohs surgery is the technique that preserves the most healthy tissue.
- The specimen slides are evaluated in the office the same day as surgery which saves the patient the time and expense of having to return for additional surgery.
Why Sutton Dermatology Skin Cancer Center?
- Sutton Dermatology understands the importance of providing Mohs surgical procedures for our patients.
- We have 4 surgical suites designed for skin cancer surgery.
- The histology lab is located in the office with experienced histotechnicians who prepare the slides for evaluation by the Mohs surgeon.
- With comfort in mind, surgery patients may choose to use our separate waiting room designed for Mohs patients.
- Our Mohs surgeon, Dr. Leigh Sutton, is a board certified dermatologist who completed a fellowship in Mohs and skin cancer surgery at Baylor Medical Center in Houston, Texas. Dr. Sutton is one of the few fellowship trained Mohs surgeons in the area.
- Dr. Sam Bryant is a board certified plastic surgeon who is present on site to close surgical wounds for some cases.
- By having a fellowship trained Mohs skin surgeon, an in-office histology lab, and specially designed surgical suites, patients can usually have surgical excision, verified clear margins, and wound closure the same day.
What to expect the day of the surgery
Leigh Sutton, M.D.
Dr. Sutton, a Lincoln native, graduated from Pius X High School. At Creighton University she graduated Summa Cum Laude. In 2012 she graduated from the University of Nebraska Medical Center with Distinction, receiving her M.D. degree. While attending UNMC she was elected President of Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Society. Her dermatology residency was completed at Baylor Scott & White Health, where she served as Chief Resident and also was inducted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society. She completed a Fellowship in Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology at Baylor in Houston. Dr. Sutton sees patients of all ages for their medical, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology needs. Dr. Leigh Sutton is board certified in dermatology.
Our facility and mission
Sutton Skin Cancer Center has devoted thought, time, and technology into creating a unique facility specializing in the treatment of skin cancers. We are committed to providing the most advanced and efficient techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancers.
Schedule your Appointment
Ready to schedule an appointment with our team of dermatology and aesthetic experts? Click the button below and you can book your next appointment with our real-time scheduling system.