What is medical microneedling?
Tiny needles are used to create controlled micro-injuries to the skin in order to aid in the production of collagen and elastin. The skin’s repair process results in a thicker epidermis with a softer appearance of wrinkles. These micro needles break down old scar tissue and stimulate skin cells to proliferate. This cell multiplication results in the formation of new tissue layers of elastin and collagen fibers, as well as new capillaries for an improved blood supply.
What conditions can be treated or improved with medical microneedling?
- Mild to moderate acne scarring; any new or old scars
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Loose, lax skin
- Skin texture and pore size
- Stretch marks
What does the procedure involve?
The skin is cleansed and numbing cream is applied to lessen discomfort. For better results we use a collagen-stimulating product like hyaluronic acid, vitamin-C serum or skin lightener for pigmentation during the procedure. A small handheld pen like device with a sterile, disposable tip with 12 tiny needles is then used to pierce the skin. Our needling pen’s multi-speed and adjustable needle depth allow needles to pierce the skin’s layer at 90 degrees and increase the absorption of products. After the treatment, soothing vitamin-C serum or hyaluronic acid are used to hydrate, heal and protect the skin.
What will I look like after the treatment?
Most people will experience redness and mild swelling similar to a mild sunburn for 24-48 hours and there may be minimal pin-point bleeding and/or bruising. Within a week or two, you will notice that your skin is smoother and more radiant looking; although the full effects won’t be seen until a few months later.
What is the down time after medical microneedling treatment?
The inflammatory reaction of the skin is extremely short and fades significantly within hours from redness to pinkish that may last for 12 to 48 hours. In order to reduce visible redness, we recommend hyaluronic acid after the procedure, and to protect the skin with a zinc-based sunblock. The use of mineral makeup is recommended after procedure.
What are the benefits of medical microneedling?
- Dramatically increases the effectiveness and penetration of active ingredients in topical preparations
- Stimulates circulation and collagen production
- Medical grade titanium needles makes it non-allergenic to human tissue
- Cost-effective compared to other resurfacing procedures
- Can be performed on all skin types, including ethnic skin
- Can be used on all areas of the scalp, face, and body including fragile skin like around eyes, mouth and neck
What effects does the medical microneedling have on the skin?
- Improves skin texture and reduces the appearance of wrinkles
- Stimulates tissue regeneration
- Disfiguring scars, especially acne scars, can be improved as new collagen fibers elevate the depressed scar tissue with the periphery skin
- Pore size reduction
- Improves the appearance of stretch marks